It is time for another school year to begin! I wish to invite you to our annual Opening Knight orientation and open house set for Thursday, August 14, 2014. Our first day of classes is Monday, August 18.
Adolescence is a tumultuous time in a child’s life and when school staff and parents can work together, we can support our young adolescents so that they learn to their fullest potential. We have changed the structure of Opening Knight to allow for more communication about how teachers’ classrooms will operate this year.
When arriving, please use the auditorium doors. Each grade level will have an introductory meeting in the auditorium to begin their orientation:
5:30pm – Sixth Grade 6:00pm – Seventh Grade 6:30pm – Eighth Grade
During Opening Knight, students and their parents will have the opportunity to do the following:
- Get school pictures taken (please be sure your child is dressed in appropriate school attire – ALL students will have their picture taken for school identification purposes)
- Pay student fees
- Receive student schedule and locker assignment
- Process Medical Authorization & Procedure Card and Technology Form
- Students are issued their school netbook computers
- Students “move-in” to their lockers
- Visit your child’s classrooms and meet our school staff
We decided to save a few trees: The One-to-One Computing Guidelines and Policies are online at www.vbschools.net and a printed copy will be in your packet at Opening Knight for both parent and student signatures. The signed agreement must be turned in so that students can be issued their netbook computers that night.
School fees for the 2014-2015 school year are listed below:
6th Grade $66.50
7th Grade $63.50
8th Grade $71.50 (regular science); $81.50 (advanced science)
We are excited to start the new school year! As summer comes to a close, I hope you are able to join us for Opening Knight August 14. As a parent, you are welcome all year long and we hope you are able to join us at school as a volunteer for Project MORE, at a parent advisory coffee, as a member of a booster organization, or even by “liking” Van Buren Middle School on Facebook!